Today has sucked. It’s lasted forever and it’s still not over. It’s 90 degrees and humid and our AC has been out for a week. The kids will not stop arguing and whining. I’m behind on work and it’s stressing me out. The house is a mess. I’m exhausted, frustrated and drained. But it’s a blessing in disguise.
We all have shitty days, and that’s okay. That’s life. It happens.
It’s even okay to feel bad for yourself every now and then. But you can’t wallow in it forever. You have to do something about it.
Shitty days can be a sort of reminder from the universe that you need to nurture yourself. You need to take care of yourself. Use this reminder as the blessing it is. Slow down. Take care of yourself.
Take this as permission from the Universe or Spirit that it’s okay for you to take a moment for yourself. In fact, it’s required. Non-negotiable.
I like to do these five steps: breathe, center, cleanse, ground, nurture.
When the hell am I supposed to fit these steps in? Well, I’m glad you asked. Part of taking care of yourself is making yourself a priority. Sometimes we have to set other things aside in order to fit in our self care.
Maybe this means going to bed a little bit later. Maybe it means rescheduling an appointment. Maybe it means putting off doing the laundry, dishes or work.
Remember, shitty days are major reminders from the Universe that you need to take care of yourself.
✨Try these five steps, either on their own or (better yet) at the same time. Remember that required time you set aside for yourself?
- Breathe. This one sounds self explanatory. But I’m not talking about just breathing. I’m talking about taking conscious, full breaths. Inhaling deep through your nose, feeling the air fill your entire body and breathing in calm. Exhaling through your mouth and feeling the tension leave your body and your energy grounding to the earth. The bonus with breathing is that you can do this any time during your day. You don’t need to set aside special time to take a few conscious breaths. I’ve personally taken about a thousand conscious breaths today. It’s pretty much the only thing that’s getting me through the day, to be honest.
- Center. This activity is best to do when you have some quiet time for yourself, but it can be done at any time. This is like next level breathing. While taking your conscious breaths, close your eyes and really feel within. Really feel your energy coming together and centering. Feeling aligned, calm, collected.
- Cleanse. When our energy is funky, it needs to be cleansed. Two of my favorite ways are baths and sage with crystals. Sometimes I even do both. Draw yourself a bath and sprinkle in some lavender Epsom salts. The lavender will calm you while the salts will cleanse your energy (and bonus! Help ground you). Let yourself relax, do more of your centering and breathing. Imagine all of the funky energy washing off your body and as the water empties down the drain, visualize the crap energy emptying along with it. To sage yourself with crystals, it’s sort of a bath with smoke. Light your sage and set it in its bowl in front of you. Waft the smoke around yourself, envisioning it cleansing your energy. Close your eyes, holding your quartz and (you guessed it!) do your conscious breathing and centering. Feeling the sage smoke and the crystals purifying you.
- Ground. A lot of the activities I’ve mentioned are also grounding. But if your energy is feeling extra out of whack, doing an activity specifically aimed at grounding, can be helpful. The easiest way is to go outside, barefoot if possible, and place your feet on the earth. Consciously breathing (you seeing a theme here?) and feeling your energy connecting to the earth. Feeling your unwanted energy transferring into the earth to be transformed by Gaia. Holding some black tourmaline is extra effective. If it’s too cold or weather doesn’t permit, you can do the grounding exercise inside while holding your black tourmaline.
- Nurture. This one is up to you! Do what you feel would nurture yourself the most. Maybe you want to read your cards or a book. Perhaps giving yourself a pedicure is nurturing for you. Drawing a picture. Listening to a guided meditation. Ideally nurturing yourself will not involve electronics, as electronics can be draining.
My day has been shitty. Super shitty. But I’m using this as my reminder from the Universe to take care of myself. I’ll be doing all five of these steps tonight. And that’s a blessing.