As we previously reported, Ronaldo is being sued by Kathryn Mayorga - who claims Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel room back in 2009.

Cristiano Ronaldo's Portugal takes on Uruguay in the Round of 16 Match on Saturday. "I firmly deny the accusations being issued against me", he said.

Portugal will face Poland in the UEFA Nations League on October 11 and then have a friendly against Scotland in Glasgow on October 14.

Ronaldo has denied the allegations, initially calling them "fake, fake news".

"Keen as I may be to clear my name, I refuse to feed the media spectacle created by people seeking to promote themselves at my expense".

Kathryn Mayorga, 34, of Las Vegas, accused Ronaldo, in a 32-page lawsuit filed last month with a district court in Nevada, of raping her on June 13, 2009.

According to Portuguese newspaper, Record, Ronaldo spoke with both Santos and the president of the Portuguese Football Federation, Fernando Gomes, and it was agreed that it would be better if the forward wasn't called for the next matches.

Santos said he expected Ronaldo to play again for Portugal eventually.

The 33-year-old was also missing from the last Portugal squad, with Santos citing the player's summer move to the Italian champions as the reason.

Police in Las Vegas have not identified Ronaldo as a subject of their reopened investigation, saying only that they are responding to a request for further investigation by Mayorga and her attorney after they filed the lawsuit.

Mayorga says the alleged assault left her with post-traumatic stress, and she wants an eight-year-old legal settlement of her charges thrown out because she says the psychological injuries made her incompetent to agree to it at the time.


COMMENTS