Interested in MeToo? Add MeToo as an interest to stay up to date on the latest MeToo news, video, and analysis from ABC News.
"He absolutely ruined my career", she told the magazine.
One of Moonves' accusers, Phyllis Golden-Gottlieb, also reported her accusations to Los Angeles police a year ago, but they weren't pursued because the statute of limitations had expired. When she resisted later advances, she began to be frozen out at the company, she said. In a statement to The New Yorker, Moonves admitted to behaving badly with women but denied assaulting them or hurting their careers.
A second New Yorker article by Farrow published on Sunday contained allegations by six more women.
A former senior CBS official told FOX Business in July, just after Farrow's first article about the allegations was published, that Mooves was likely to be replaced due to the seriousness of the accusations, but noted that internal candidates are "weak".
Moonves denied the allegations, and characterized his relationships with some of the women as consensual. "I can't stop thinking about the anguish of these women, what happened to their dignity, what happened to their bodies, what happened maybe to even their careers".
"In my 40 years of work, I have never before heard of such disturbing accusations". "I have never used my position to hinder the advancement or careers of women", Moonves said. "Moonves declined to specify which three encounters he considered consensual". Jeff Fager, executive producer of 60 Minutes, has been accused by six women who said he inappropriately touched them.
Under terms, CBS said in a filing that the settlement of $120 million would be put in a trust within 30 days and Moonves could end up with nothing if the result of the investigation goes against him. The news made headlines, and CBS promised to investigate the allegations, but since then there's been radio silence from the network as Moonves quietly continues on as CEO (he is now negotiating his exit from the company).
The Moonves exit comes after Pulitzer Prize-winning investigative reporter Ronan Farrow's latest report in The New Yorker. This money, the amount of it, is dependent on the outcome of this investigation and what CBS believes to be truthful and accurate and real allegations of sexual misconduct.
CBS has negotiated an estimated US$100 million settlement with Moonves, sources said.
"Our Board of Directors is conducting a thorough investigation of these matters, which is ongoing", CBS said in a statement.
On "CBS This Morning" Monday, co-host Norah O'Donnell tackled the subject of her boss' resignation.
And if you're wondering (like I am) how Moonves is allowed to keep his job, the answer is simple: power. He would be the most prominent entertainment and media figure unseated by claims of sexual harassment in the wave of #MeToo allegations rocking the industry. "That makes it really hard to comment on it". "It is systemic and it is pervasive in our culture".
Moonves was an advocate for the traditional broadcast network model when others anxious it was becoming obsolete, but he also launched streaming services for CBS entertainment and news.
Five years ago, he discussed his involvement, saying at the Television Critics Association press tour, "I'm not involved from the earlier stages, but I sort of have the final look at who's going in and choosing the right combination". Not only the feeling in the moment but the powerlessness afterward. "I know I needed to say something".