KXIP vs KKR Live Score

Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro and hundreds of Venezuelan soldiers were sent fleeing on Saturday after an alleged attack via drone resulted in an explosion.

He said one drone flew over the tribune where Maduro was giving a speech but that it became "disoriented by signal-inhibiting equipment" and was thus "activated outside the assassins' planned perimeter".

Security officers were able to disable one of the drones flying toward the stage where Maduro was standing with high-ranking officials, Reverol said. He said several conspirators were arrested in Venezuela, and appealed to President Donald Trump for help with arresting others connected to the attack in Miami.

Although some opposition leaders said they doubted the government's version, two residents of a nearby building said Sunday they saw the drone, and watched it explode.

Reverol said the "assassination" attempt was carried out by two remotely operated drones and each carrying a kilogram (2.2 pounds) of plastic explosive C4 - "capable of causing effective damage over a 50-meter (164 feet) radius".

Seven members of the country's National Guard were injured, three gravely, officials said.

Arreaza said that the investigations so far point to an involvement by the United States and Colombia.

He has blamed Colombia for the incident but provided no evidence. Maduro said that several suspects had been apprehended. "This was an assassination attempt, they tried to assassinate me", Maduro said in a later televised address.

Mid-speech, Maduro and his wife, Cilia Flores, looked up at the sky and winced after hearing the sound of an explosion.

A clandestine group of Venezuelan soldiers claimed responsibility for Saturday's alleged attack against Maduro, in a statement obtained by el Nuevo Herald.

United States national security advisor John Bolton insisted there was "no USA government involvement" and even suggested that the incident may have been "a pretext set up by the regime itself".

Trump's national security adviser John Bolton told "Fox News Sunday" that, "If the government of Venezuela has hard information that they want to present to us that would show a potential violation of USA criminal law, we'll take a serious look at it".

Venezuela's government routinely accuses opposition activists of plotting to attack and overthrow Maduro, a deeply unpopular leader who was recently elected to a new term in office in a vote decried by dozens of nations.

The thwarted attack comes as Venezuela is reeling from a worsening economic and humanitarian crisis and Maduro has grown increasingly isolated.

Still, the government's adversaries warned of a possible crackdown after Maduro accused opponents of seeking to assassinate him with drones.

"It's evident that the initial reaction of the government isn't aimed at attempting to clarify what happened but rather to take advantage of the situation and irresponsibly and sweepingly attack the 'opposition, '" the group said in a statement. She says she saw a drone strike the same building mentioned by the other witness and then fall.

Bolton said he spoke with the US government's top diplomatic official in Caracas, the Venezuelan capital, on August 5 and said that Americans in Venezuela are safe.

In June 2017, an intelligence police commander flew a helicopter over government institutions and threw grenades at the country's Supreme Court building.


COMMENTS